1) Try to carry-on
- When choosing a bag make sure it’s a guaranteed carry-on or you may pay fees.
- No, really! The airlines are checking what size bag you have.
2) If you must check
- Try to only check 1 bag per person
- You should probably pack in a 26” because most likely you’ll over-pack in a 30” and you don’t want those overweight fees!
3) Be sure to have your own scale
- Make sure you weigh your luggage with a travel micro scale before you get to the airport…so you don’t have to rearrange when you get there.
- If your bag is over 50lbs, it’s better to pack into 2 bags because it will cost a lot less than paying for overweight fees.
- Use travel size bottles…there is no need to bring big bottles, they will only make your bag heavier.
- Wear your heavier clothing and shoes on the plane, since it will only weigh your bag down if you pack your heavier items.
4) Don’t pack too much clothing.
- Pack ExOfficio undergarments, you don’t need many at all.
About ExOfficio products: 17 countries, 6 weeks, and 1 pair of underwear: the Give-n-Go Brief. This is the one pair that you want in your suitcase. It’s odor resistant and moist wicking. Plus you can wash and hang it to dry, and you’re ready to go for your next adventure. ExOfficio clothing field-tested and approved by the African Wildlife Foundation.
- Be sure your accessories match all outfits, so you don’t have to pack a lot of accessories.
- Never pack more than 2 pairs of shoes, it’s unnecessary, takes up space and weighs your bag down.
5) Additional Important Tips to Remember
- Make sure you double check with your airline for a list of up-to date fees before your trip.
- Bring your own headphones, some airlines are charging for them.
- Bring your own snacks…checkout this list of tips for food and make sure the snacks that you want to bring are allowed (check with the TSA prohibited items list).