Memorial Day is considered to be the official kick-off to the summer as the weather is just right for a perfect 3-day beach weekend! According to TravelChannel.com, here are the top five picks for beach destinations with the best weather.
1. Virginia Beach, Virginia – “Head to the beaches of the mid-Atlantic for the lowest risk of bad weather over Memorial Day weekend. TravelChannel.com predicts that Virginia Beach will have 3 partly cloudy (or partly sunny, if you’re an optimist!) days, but highs in the low 80s will ensure you get to put on your bathing suit and show off that beach body you’ve been working on all winter. If you’re not quite in bikini shape yet, consider renting a bike for a ride down the 3-mile-long boardwalk — it even has a separate bike path!”
2. Minneapolis – “Believe it or not, the lake beaches in Minneapolis will have some of the best Memorial Day weather in the country — the city is predicted to have 2 fully sunny days and 1 partly cloudy day with highs near 75 degrees.”
3. Cape Hatteras, North Carolina – “Visitors to Cape Hatteras National Seashore on the Outer Banks are in luck when it comes to Memorial Day weather. A weekend of partly cloudy days (but no rain!) with highs of 75 degrees will make for one of the nicest beach vacations in the country. If it’s too chilly to swim, test your endurance with a climb up America’s tallest lighthouse. The faint of heart are no match for the 248 spiral steps, but the view is worth the climb.”
4. Hilton Head, South Carolina – “Two mostly sunny days with highs near 85 degrees make up for the isolated thunderstorms that are predicted to roll in on Memorial Day in Hilton Head. Luckily, the island has plenty of activities to keep even the most fidgety kids (or adults) entertained on a rainy day — visit The Sandbox Children’s Museum or the indoor Island Playground if the kids get stir-crazy.”
5. Ocean City, Maryland – “Residents of the mid-Atlantic are in luck. Ocean City, MD, also ranks on Travel Channel’s list of best bets for Memorial Day weekend — the beach town is expected to have partly sunny skies and highs in the 70s and 80s. If you’re not sold on a 3-day weekend at the beach, Washington, DC, is also expected to be rain-free.”
Wherever you decide to spend this Memorial Day, make sure to check out our beach checklist so you don’t forget anything!